Saturday, April 17, 2021

God Has A Sense of Humor

 




A woman's life is full of emotions and God Has a Sense of Humor written by Ebi Akpeti touches all of them. The 186 page book is a collection of 7 short, funny, heartfelt true-to-life stories with powerful messages and cuts across tribes and religions making this a great book for women and for the men who love them.

‘A Prison with Golden Gates’ paints a powerful portrait of the torments experienced by women with cheating husbands. ‘The Gong That Should Have Deafened Me’ expresses the danger of trying to manipulate love. ‘God Has a Sense of Humor’ the story that gives the book its name shows the benefits of seeking solutions in prayers and a wife’s total triumph through submission. In ‘Death is no longer a Rumour,’ the reader is faced with the brevity of life through the eyes of a woman living with HIV. ‘Singlelaria’ explores the insensitivity of society to the plight of the single lady, ‘The Woman that Marries for Money’ is a rude awakening to the evils of tasting a fruit that belongs to someone else. The last tale, ‘Life Can Only Be Understood backwards reveals a message for humanity, the healing power of love and the peace that comes when we do not allow offences rule us. 
 

Excerpt of the Book 

I miss my husband’s girlfriends. 

Whenever he was having an affair, he became a new man; more witty, more talkative, and friendlier. He shaved daily and traded his frayed underwear for snug boxer briefs. Whenever they broke up with him, I suffered with him as he would always, somehow, take it out on me and turn my life and our home into a living hell. Even our dismal sex life was affected. Call it the guilty husband syndrome, but a few years ago, I discovered that whenever we were intimate, it meant he was going to be intimate with someone else the very next day. But even that stopped over 3 years ago. 

My marriage had come to a point where I was happier when he was happy in his extramarital affairs. I know it sounds weird. I used to see it that way, but I don’t see it that way anymore. If you are the type of wife that I am who believes in the traditional value of marriage that women should be the weaker vessels, you get to a point where the only thing you want is peace. If other women make your husband happy enough to make him leave you alone, not call you names or beat you up, you no longer see the situation as weird. In fact, you even begin to thank those women for it. 

This Saturday, as I watched my husband, Akin mope around the house, looking like the weight of the world was on his shoulders, I suspected that some errant girlfriend had caused his current malady. Perhaps, she had found out he was married with kids, or had grown bored with him and decided to look for some other lover, maybe even someone younger. I would have told him it served him right, but I knew the consequences. All I could do was feel sorry for him and for myself, and hope that I could find a way to placate him before things got worse. 

I summoned up courage—yes, it is funny that to go near my husband, I had to summon courage and even plead the blood of Jesus— went over to him and placed a hand gently on his shoulder. “Are you all right?” I asked in a gentle voice, desperate not to annoy him. 

He turned slowly and looked at me as if a filthy, homeless person had touched him. He stared in disbelief at the hand I placed on his shoulder, and I quickly snatched it away.











No comments:

Post a Comment